Re: Re: Mpiece Beat: Benge 18 = which Helleberg?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on December 27, 2000 at 14:41:26:

In Reply to: Re: Mpiece Beat: Benge 18 = which Helleberg? posted by Tim C on December 27, 2000 at 14:18:48:

The 7B may have a similar rim, but it has a shallower cup than the Bach 18. I would try a regular Helleberg first with a BBb horn. My understanding is that the main difference between the regular Helleberg and the 7B is the depth and that the other dimensions are almost the same.

I also have a Boosey & Hawkes Regent BBb tuba from about 1960. It has a 15" bell and 3 top action valves. I use it for gigs when I need to stand and want a light weight horn. I have been using a Dennis Wick 2 mouthpiece on it (not 2L which is the large shank version) with good results. It has a similar cup to the Helleberg and has the benefit of a shank which was made to fit the small receiver on this horn. This combination gives this horn a nice focused sound throughout it's range. It has a surprisingly full low end for a smallish, small bore horn. I am primarily a tuba player who doubles occasionally on euphonium so your results may vary, but I like this mouthpiece with this horn.

Follow Ups: