Re: Re: bass trombone or tuba (EEB, BB, CC)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Larry Zaidan on December 28, 2000 at 11:23:41:

In Reply to: Re: bass trombone or tuba (EEB, BB, CC) posted by Erik on December 27, 2000 at 23:38:30:

As a tuba player myself, I have to admit some prejudice in this matter, but here goes....

If you use a bass trombone in place of the tuba in a quintet, it diminishes the group's tonal color spectrum. In that case, the only remaining conical instrument is the horn, creating an overall mix that emphasizes that cylindrical "brassy" sound. While in some situations, this can be good (like, if the composer calls for it!), it makes for an overall uninteresting, sameness of sound/tone.

In the standard set-up, with 2 trumpets & trombone (cylindrical), and horn & tuba (conical), there is a good balance, because even though the conicals are out numbered, the tonal density of the tuba tends to even out the balance of the whole cylindrical-conical/yin-yang sound (er.....am I getting a little too far out there???). For the same reason, but in opposition, I feel that a substitution of euphonium for the trombone is not a good idea.....the cylindrical sound is then overwhelmed by 3 relatively dense conicals.

My own personal opinion (which, by now, you can't seem to escape....), has always been that a brass quintet, when compared to a woodwind quintet, and a string quartet, is somewhat limited in tonal color possibilities, anyway. (Yes, I know, a string quartet has similar homogeneity problems, but since they have all that GREAT music-----who cares?)

One man's opinion, for what it's worth....

Cheers,

Larry Zaidan

Follow Ups: