Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: rose parade

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on December 31, 2000 at 10:06:34:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: rose parade posted by Farah on December 30, 2000 at 22:07:34:

The observation was not that hard to make. If faking musicians are needed, you only ask them to take the burden of a tuba, if there are visual needs. And they would only be justified for a full front, second, or rear row. 8 or 10 could have divided for 2 rows. 9 hardly.

Did you have a 9 trombone front with a 9 tuba second row? Or were 9 sousas forming the rear row?

My favourite marching formation has clarinets in front, because that furthers the perception of a perfectly balanced sound of a band coming closer.

As for measurements: 4 feet 10 inches equals 147.32 cm.

The demands of 175 cm applies to the regular soldiers enlistened in the royal guard. 175cm equals 5 feet 9 inches.

The musicians are hired by an audition system very similar for that of orchestras. Only there is a clause about a demand of a harmonical body structure (which probably can be stretched quite a bit-the clause that is).

After female wind players have been more common, the band started accepting women as part of the general equal opportunities policy. A clarinet player broke the barrier about 20 years ago. My latest information tells of both flutes, 2 clarinets, and the oboe player being ladies.

The latter even has one of the hardest jobs, when the band is marching. No oboe is used in marching, so she has to play the "lyre", which is a glockenspiel mounted between the metal arms of a fake lyra. I do not know whether you use that instrument.

Klaus

Follow Ups: