Re: just wondering

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by cyndi on January 01, 2001 at 13:38:48:

In Reply to: just wondering posted by Tuba Chick on December 27, 2000 at 00:36:22:

I have been playing tuba for about 15 years and have taught many female students. I am assumming you are a female since your name is Tuba Chick. I am quick that way.
Anyway, I have noticed in female students that they play with significantly more tension throughout the entire body than male students. I have a feeling it is because the chicks feel as if they are competing with guys so they have to work harder and must have more physical stuff going on. (that's what I thought when I was younger) This could be attributing to your lack of a good tone. Make sure that ALL of your muscles throughout your body are relaxed. All you need to worry about is your lungs, not your shoulders, stomach muscles, biceps, neck muscles or any other muscle in your body. Experiment with relaxing your body before you play. If you have jaw problems then start with relaxing your neck muscles and keeping your jaw and the back of your tounge relaxed. Use a full breath and let your air kind of fall out of your lungs - don't PUSH it out. Your air should be a thick column of air but not forced. Experiment with all of this stuff and buzz using the same techniques. I hope I am not being too preachy. I am just telling you what I tell all of my female students because they all have the same problem. TENSION. Good luck with getting your jaw fixed. It shouldn't be a problem if you use the above techniques when you play.

Follow Ups: