Re: Yamaha YCB-822 Comments?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve C on December 03, 2001 at 00:41:04:

In Reply to: Yamaha YCB-822 Comments? posted by Bob Burns on December 02, 2001 at 21:43:03:

I currently use the 822. I am a 2nd year college student, and its my only horn. I agree with Scott on size (larger 4/4, smaller 5/4), but I also feel it is very versatile for a horn its size, if you know how to restrain yourself, which I don't like doing...I would like something with a bit of a lighter sound for solo work (I am probably looking for an F sound in my head), but friends tell me this horn sounds fine.
Jeff's comments don't seem to apply (IMHO) to my horn, but I must say the only horn in its size-catagory I probably liked equal, or maybe a bit more, was a Meinl-Weston 2145.
Jeff's comments seem to be the norm on this, and most Yammies. The biggest exception usually being the first 100-150(?) made of a model produced. This is the range that, if I remember correctly, a model is still handmade, and my horn falls in at 99.
I haven't played a more recent 822, so I can't comment as to if Jeff's, or other's, opinions seem correct. I can only comment as to my personal horn.
I suggest you-try-before-you-buy, if possible. They are pricey, and if they normally play hw people seem to think they do, then I would take a look at a Meinl-Weston 2145, unless you happen to find one that plays exceptional, as mine seems to do.
Good luck with the hunt,
Steve C

Follow Ups: