Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Romantic era Solos

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jim Andrada on December 04, 2001 at 01:56:38:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Romantic era Solos posted by Steve Dedman on December 03, 2001 at 20:33:09:

I once had the "pleasure" of scanning a 300 page document and running a VERY GOOD OCR program to convert it to text. It only took me a couple of weeks to fix all the misrecognitions. They quote 99.9% or so for recognition which means that on average you only have a half dozen or a dozen errors per page to find and fix. Terrible job!

I've also had the pleasure of scanning and OCR'ing Japanese text - took longer to fix! More terrible job!

Sibelius can be ordered with Neuratron PhotoScore, and there's a separate music recognition package called SharpEye - you can get it separately or packaged with Braeburn Software's Music Publisher.

I've used PhotoScore a fair amount and I generally find it easier to just re-enter the whole piece from the keyboard than to "search and destroy" all the mis-reads. Even when you have very clean originals I haven't been terribly impressed, and until pretty recently Sibelius wouldn't pick up triplets etc even if PhotoScore found them. I think they fixed that in version 1.4

But I'm an optimist - I just ordered my Sibelius 2 upgrade and also ordered the new PhotoScore to go with it. I really will try it.

But I think it would be better to just learn to read treble clef, tenor clef etc (I think you will need tenor clef if you start with cello works.)IMHO using these software tools just for transposition is like cracking walnuts with a pile driver:-) And yes, I'm dumb enough to do it!!!

Follow Ups: