Re: Re: Re: Buying tubas for High School

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 04, 2001 at 14:31:03:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Buying tubas for High School posted by Lew on December 03, 2001 at 23:43:14:

I agree. But the problem is that "middle school" encompasses kids with much different needs. A Yamaha 103 is fine for a 100-pound 7th-grader, but too small for the 180-pound 9th-grader.

Therefore, I would suggest categorizing horns by skill level rather than by grade. A Yamaha 103 is good for beginners, because it is easy to play and provides enough early reward to keep kids motivated. But there are other instruments in this category, too, including a Conn 2J (or 3J, or whatever they are selling these days in BBb), a Weril copy of a Yamaha 621, or even a Yamaha 621. These three horns are not only suitable for small beginners, but they also provide room to grow for intermediate players as well. In a 6-8 grade middle school, I would focus on a small, four-valve, tuba with lots of playability but still with range (both tonal and dynamic) to keep the kids interested after they push into the "intermediate" category. For junior high school, where the kids are a year older, this is especially important.

For intermediate or advanced players, you need good tubas that are a little bigger and more free-blowing. The VMI 2103, Jupiter 582, and King 2341 would all get my vote. The Meinl-Westons (model 25) and the Miraphones are great instruments, but in my opinion too expensive for school horns unless they can be bought used. Around $3000 seems enough to pay for a school tuba, and what you can get for that amount will not hold a schoolkid back--even the rare star whose parents won't buy him a tuba until college. The priority here should not be on cost, but on getting a tuba with proven musical potential so that players will be rewarded for their work.

In my high-school program, the prevailing wisdom at the time considered a Miraphone 186 to be the only choice available. But the high cost of that instrument prevented most schools from having them, and the students often had to make do with whatever was already there. In my case, that was a plastic King sousaphone, which I played from 7th grade until my senior year. There were not so many excellent, low-cost choices at that time.

I'm not a big fan of the big top-action tubas like the new 4/4 Weril, the Yamaha 321, and the big Bb Bessons (for this side of the Atlantic, anyway), at least for school use. They require tall students to handle them and are ungainly. Front-action piston and rotary tubas fit a wider range of students, it seems to me.

I'm also no fan of tubas with recording bells for marching. Marching with tubas is a sure-fire way to earn back troubles. Either get sousaphones (greatly preferred) or convertible, shoulder-mounted tubas, but don't use the latter on stage. Marching and concert tubas are made for different purposes and don't cross over well. The emphasis should always be on providing an effective musical experience for the student, so that they earn positive feedback from their instrument when they work hard.

Rick "trying to answer the question rather than make a recommendation" Denney

Follow Ups: