Re: Advice needed on College Teaching

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by i'm getting old! on December 07, 2001 at 10:28:33:

In Reply to: Advice needed on College Teaching posted by Disgruntled adjunct on December 06, 2001 at 18:58:36:

I have been in school 8 years, I've been an education major for 2, and a performance major for 6. I am currently in a Master's program in performance. I have never had a private student, despite the fact that is what I want (I think) to do with my life. I am a second year grad student and don't even have one non-major to teach, because the local TA gets ALL of them, whether he wants them or not.
Now, what do I do? I am trying to go out and get my own students, great. I'm trying to get past blaming everyone else, I know it is all my fault for not marketing myself or being aggressive enough. (Now I jsut resent being taken advantage of, look out for that!) But, that doesn't solve my personal dilemma of whether or not I should do this with my life. Now, the relation of this to your point... What can you be doing better with your time? Although I feel like I don't have a lot of experience going on now, I have a ton of time to devote to MY playing. On one hand, I'm lucky I don't have to "waste" time with students that don't care. (Although even a student that doesn't care would be nice right now, at least I could TRY to motivate them.) But I understand where you are coming from. It's a tough decision, and one you will ultimately have to decide upon. If nothing else, that's 6 hours you can devote to recital / competition / other activities, and a lot less mileage on your car, and a lot less stress... There are more important things in life that sometimes are a better investment of time, and the statement about already having it on your resume is true... I agree with that.
Good luck, you'll make the right decision!

Follow Ups: