Re: Re: Related tensions in windplayers' bodies

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on December 10, 2001 at 22:56:17:

In Reply to: Re: Related tensions in windplayers' bodies posted by Rick Denney on December 10, 2001 at 22:21:03:

I have these very long arms (I can pull a Bb trombone slide off and replace it while playing a long "note") and huge hands. But my joints and my blood circulation are sore, so I have to play the York Master BBb, the Besson 981 Eb, and even the YEP641 euph using the same K&M playing support. If I get bored through rehearsals, I can play the YM with my left hand reaching around the 2nd branch. I can play it quite comfortably even with the outer right thumb joint entering the thumb ring from the wrong side (the thumb reaches around the ring).

I have seen a picture of you playing the YM in the files of another forum. If I remember it right, your head was tilted to the right.

I would say: try to find a sitting position, where the spine and neck are vertical regarding to left-right. Drop your shoulders and elbow as deep and loosely as possible without dropping your head. Drop and forward your lower jaw. Have someone placing the tuba in your lap. Take a grip as loose as possible with your left hand only. Keep the postions of your right shoulder and elbow. Move the right hand fingers to the pistons and have a go on the pedal BBb. Then descend chromatically to pedal F.

It took some work to go that low. But the nature of that would belong to another posting.

Klaus

PS:

" Rick "who no longer notices the reach for the fourth valve" Denney " makes me feel that my voodo works.

Follow Ups: