Any Thoughts??!!??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay on December 15, 2001 at 01:08:32:

Ok, so about half the people I have talked this over with say yes, the other half say no. My daughter is a begining Baritone player, and she is wanting to take some private lessons. She has band classes at school but, the instructor really does not challange her enough, so she really doesn't have to practice at home. She can get the music to sound good from just the rehearsals at school (it is after all 5th grade band). I have asked around about this and have gotten two different opinions.

Several "professional musicians/teachers" have told me that I should just give her the private lessons to get the breath support, phrasing, tuning, etc. down. When she has that under control, then go out and get her some lessons with a teacher that is not related to her so she can get a different viewpoint.

The other half have said, that she will have a hard time telling the difference from father and teacher and the lines will start to get blurred. The last thing I want to do is to turn her off to music AND have me end up on Jerry Springer because she hates me for trying to teach her privately.

Any and all opinions are welcome and encouraged...

Jay

P.S. From me and my daughter, Thanks to Don Strand and all of his volunteers for making the Atlanta Tuba X-Mas yet another great experience for all involved...

Follow Ups: