Re: Re: Decisions...Decisions...Decisions...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on December 16, 2001 at 21:38:35:

In Reply to: Re: Decisions...Decisions...Decisions... posted by James again on December 16, 2001 at 14:17:51:

Your posting told of new aspects of the matter, so I have made this longish row of thoughts, that not necessarily are fully consistent with my previous posting on this thread:

I am not too convinced, that the discussion has benefitted from your providing a name. The discussion should be about principles. How you act out of the inspiration you get from posters on the matter, is your personal decision.

Yet I find the discussion relevant.

You obviously get a lot of support from the board. But I would like to set straight the foundation on which I out my opinions:

You are actually a good tubaplayer your age, education, and maybe even your area taken into consideration. The instrument, that you personally have invested in, is not a "freak" tuba insofar, that it is not overly bright in sound, the sound does not break up at normal playing levels, the instrument confirms with the general pitch level used by the band, it has no notes, that are out of control intonationwise, it is not painted in fancy colours. Whether it follows German, American, or French/British sound ideals should not discriminate it, as long as it is used to play withing the overall sound concept of the ensemble. And then, I hope there has been no hidden agenda forced by any ownership bragging on your side

This said, my thoughts on your situation basically is, that your band director is taking decisions on a matter, that is clearly out of his reach.

You are not in elementary classes, where pedagogic considerations might call for uniformity of equipment.

You are not in a pro band, where the one issuing the paycheck would have a saying. Neither are you earning stipends by playing in a college marching band.

You are not in the military, where your colonel is the one who interpretes the official dress-code down to the colour of your fingerbuttons.

You are a youngster having made serious plans for your future as a musician.

You are a youngster, who by own jobs in your off hours and/or by support from your family has made an investment in an instrument, that has the sole purpose to be instrumental in your development as a musician.

Your director has not acted as if he fully has understood this. He acts erratically, as he changes his original accept of your instrument, when a third tuba player arrives. This third tubaplayer should not influence any aspects about the instrument you play on in the ensemble. If the new tubaplayer playes better than you, you will have to move down a chair. But that is a different matter.

I am very convinced, that your director will not physically stop you from bringing your own CC instrument to rehearsals and concerts.

So I think you in a polite way should tell your director, that you are continuing to play in the band. On your own tuba.

If he has a problem with that, the problem is his. And he is the one, who should take the problem a level up to the head of the arts department or to the headmaster, whoever is his immediate superior. The pro heads of the school hopefully are sane persons, that will support you. If they are not, you politely should ask them to have their decisions confirmed by the school board or even by the central school authority of your district/town.

If your director takes the issue about your tuba up a level or more, he very likely will expose himself as a person not qualified for his job. So I doubt he will dare to do that.

If he harasses you by "the book", your parents can write him politely to ask, why he enforces school and band rules differently towards you than towards other students.

You should make sure, that your tuba is insured sufficiently and adequately. You should watch out, that you are not being placed involuntarely in situations, where your tuba is endangered physically. Do not accept to be moved too close to walls and heavy percussion instruments. Watch out for tilting music stands.

It is sad, that I am so much aware of how some teachers are thinking. But I have been in the business myself. (I was no easy person to work with, but exactly when it came to instruments for my students, I have done quite a lot of fundraising to get quality. Now when I am a collector, I have no idea how I dared to loan some of my own pro-level instruments out to bridge gaps in the instrumentation).

Of course I have been too long and too detailed. But a retired person has this huge benefit over an employed person, that one is not enforced to meet professional idiocy with tolerance.

But then, James: If it shows up, that you have painted your own side of the matter in too rosy pastels, then my lack of mercy might turn direction.

Klaus

Follow Ups: