Re: Re: Re: CC or BB? that is the qq

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andy Smith on December 18, 2001 at 14:55:29:

In Reply to: Re: Re: CC or BB? that is the qq posted by Klaus on December 18, 2001 at 13:59:27:

Klaus,

I have to comment on this, only because I am always going to consider myself to be an amateur player, even if I someday end up with a job as a performer. I can play on all four tubas. Why? Because I was taught to when I was a student.

My teacher used to say this: You're now playing an Eb tuba. Play me a F# major scale.

After doing this to myself for an uncountable number of times, I can theoretically play any tuba in any key with few problems. I actually have tried this with certain pieces, etc.

The bottom line is this: people play CC because it's what we do in the US. There are many more pro's that play CC than BBb. Not because of anything obvious, although there are several things that players always say convinced them to switch (horn has no accidentals, more open, etc). It is this person's opinion that we all could play anything on any keyed instrument.

If someone said to me, "Andy, we'd like you to play the Vaughan Williams on a Sub-Contrabass Tuba." I'd do it. I'd figure it out and do it. Why? Because I love music.

If you can't or don't know how to play CC tuba, that's fine and understandable. But students should be allowed to make a choice for themselves and to not be ridiculed for that choice.

These are just my opinions, so feel free to argue. I like debating.

Sincerely,

Andy Smith
Bassdi(AT)aol.com
Tubist at Ithaca College

Follow Ups: