Re: Re: What is it with playing LOUD ???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Graham Smith on December 18, 2001 at 18:23:37:

In Reply to: Re: What is it with playing LOUD ??? posted by Bobby Tuba on December 18, 2001 at 13:15:30:

108 - 109 - 110 (excuse me, just counting my measures of rest before I play my nice, mellow "F" to fill the chord.)
I recall the endless boredom well, particularly with the orchestral stuff, at least until I got to college-level playing and had the interesting and challenging experience of playing Wagner on a Conn 25J in the pit when we did Tannhauser. That was -not- boring.

However, I also recall the challenges of playing some very good band transcriptions of the finale from Tchaikovsky's 4th symphony, and the very naked feeling during a H.S. concert competition when it was just me (on a Conn sousie) trying to lip up to where the baritone guy was wandering when it was just the two of us playing. Tuba (or sousaphone in our budget program) had its moments.

For fun, though, two suggestions. Get with some folks who can -play- dixieland (and not just read the notes), or get into a good brass quarter/quintet who want to take on some good literature, whether its contemporary or from the Gabrielli era. That stuff is challenging and it is FUN, which is what music oughta be.

(My two cents worth from someone who has now bought a used 186 BBb and is working on getting his "chops" back so that he won't be embarrassed.)

Follow Ups: