Re: Off set valves. Good or bad?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on December 19, 2001 at 09:36:48:

In Reply to: Off set valves. Good or bad? posted by Joe S. No.2 on December 19, 2001 at 08:43:14:

I have a 1934 22J on which the valves look like new. I have newer horns with a different valve design on which the valves are worn beyond playability. The difference is partially the "crysteel" valves that Conn used that, at least accoring to their literature, have a surface that is twice as hard as other valves. The other factor preventing uneven wear is the "Clickless" design. Short action valves have a pin opposite the valve stem that serves as a guide and keeps the valve centered in the casing with much tighter tolerance than traditional valve guides. This eliminates the traditional "key and keyway" that are found in most piston valves eliminates the wear that happens as the key wears.

All this is another way to say that concern about valve wear is no reason to avoid the short action valves. Of course the only horn that you can buy new today for which this is an issue is the 20K sousaphone. On the other hand, the 22J will be a perfect horn for me for those large, outdoor 4th of July concerts. Now if they could only have kept that 3rd partial in tune...

Follow Ups: