Re: Re: Meinl Weston 30

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on December 19, 2001 at 09:50:33:

In Reply to: Re: Meinl Weston 30 posted by Ian Easton on December 19, 2001 at 08:24:59:

I had a Meinl Weston 30 for 17 years and a Cerveny piggy for 17 years, each having the S style linkage. I'm a repairman, did not change the linkage, kept them oiled with key oil, and had great experience with them the entire time. (I used each horn a great deal - the first one through undergrad and grad school and on into a college job, the second in a ballet orchestra and much freelancing.)

Perhaps my experience is unusual, but oil does wonders. If you (not you personally) do not oil the valve linkages, they wear out, they make all kinds of noise, and the person usually blames the linkage for the problem. A little dab of oil (not valve oil) - 30W motor oil, 3-in-1 oil, woodwind key oil, machine oil - will do wonders and make you think the linkage is made out of some kind of wonderful metal......

In my opinion, many persons change to the newer linkages not because they are faster and more durable, but because they "look" better. On a personal note, I think they look better as well.

If you are going to change to the uniball linkage, I suggest using the Meinl Weston ones versus the plastic ones available at hobby shops.

Follow Ups: