Re: PT-6 and that darned D!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on December 19, 2001 at 21:21:17:

In Reply to: PT-6 and that darned D! posted by Jim C on December 19, 2001 at 21:09:16:

Do not articulate troublesome notes like this with your toungue in situations like this - Articulate with your lips.

This will accomplish two things:

- The toungue will not get in the way of the very slow (low) and wide (loud) vibration of the lips, and

- You will immediately set the lips in motion on this fairly tricky note by using the very first vibration of the lips as the articulation.

One final trick:

Remove the mouthpiece from the instrument, partially cover the exit hole of the mouthpiece with your finger (to simulate the resistance of the instrument), and (almost silently) practice attacking this note a few times just before the downbeat. (Don't forget to reinsert the mouthpiece into the instrument.)

;^)

Finally, I have no idea what your level of performance experience is (professional, student, collegiate, amateur) so please forgive me it this advice is inappropriate: I would discourage you from sitting on stage and practicing blatting this note out before the beginning of the concert when patrons are entering the concert hall.

I hope you have luck with these, if you consider trying them.

-Joe

Follow Ups: