Re: Re: Re: Florida Orchestra needs damage control

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Paul Gramann on December 19, 2001 at 22:49:00:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Florida Orchestra needs damage control posted by Sean Chisham on December 19, 2001 at 09:20:13:

First let me say that I agree with you guys (Jay and Sean) - but let me tell you what I see from my perspective.

I am not in a music field but I work with (and have friends that are) very bright, well educated and well paid individuals. You'd be amazed at how many of them just don't have a clue about musicians and their plight (forgive me). I call these folks the MP3 generation. They don't think of swapping MP3's and copying CD's as stealing from the artists. They think that it only effects the big recording industry, but only a little if at all since they "have deep pockets any way." Somewhat similar to our increasingly litigious society that sues big faceless companies - or other people because "that's what insurance is for."

In this case at hand, the Orchestra is painted by the media to be the bad guy and, my point is, you'd be surprised at how many will see it that way too. If it weren't for my interest as an amateur in music and all y'all's* discussions that I've learned so much from over the past several years, I honestly wonder if I would see it that way too.

It seems like common sense here when you use the clothing analogy but I've been converted and you're preaching to the choir by now (but don't stop). That's why I also agree with "news watcher" that a well worded explanation, letter to the editor, etc. is probably appropriate.

--paul;

*all y'all: translation - you's guys. Just trying to help all y'all get ready for ITEC 2002 in North Carolina! :-)

Follow Ups: