Re: Re: mouthpiece bore (drill size)????????????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by better solutions on December 21, 2001 at 16:17:18:

In Reply to: Re: mouthpiece bore (drill size)???????????? posted by Doug Elliott on December 21, 2001 at 13:30:26:

I have a friend who drills and files (and ruins) mouthpieces on a regular basis. Taking a drill to a mouthpiece and getting good result is next to impossible, in my opinion. I've had an expert (Greg Black) make modifications to a couple of my trombone mouthpieces. The result has never been a "perfect" mouthpiece.

I offer the following suggestions:

1) Contact Doug Elliott who makes a variety of rims, cups, and backbores. Tell him what you have and what you are looking for. I'm sure he can sell you a mouthpiece that fits the bill.

2) Check out the Josef Klier line of tuba mouthpieces (link below). When I was looking for a mouthpiece for my F tuba, I went to Dillons, found a rim I liked (by number) and then tried different cup/bore (by letter) sizes until I found the best match for me and that horn. Check out the chart on their website. They have an impressive array of sizes. The mouthpiece, by the way, was around $50.

Follow Ups: