Re: Re: Re: Re: Eb-Tuba Willson vs. Besson Sovereign

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frederick J. Young on December 24, 2001 at 23:10:47:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Eb-Tuba Willson vs. Besson Sovereign posted by js on December 22, 2001 at 03:09:43:

Not so, I have measured many tubas and played them. I cite a Nirshl Eb with 5 valves. Its owner loved it because he could play low notes out of tune (which in his opinion was better than not playing them at all). When I played it and made pitch measurements over a 4 octave range I found that it was on the average 30 cents out of tune. Compensating 4 tubas are on the average about 6 cents out of tune and 3 valve compensators average only 2 cents out of tune.

Also, you will find that it is common knowledge in Germany amongst the instrument makers, how to make the open tones extremely well in tune with whatever kind of scale you desire.
Tubas do not conform to the simple string model used to teach beginners how the open tones come about.

I also realize that some tubas are so poorly proportioned that single valves may be in tune on pitches derived from certain open tones and horrible on others. I cite a certain
Yamaha compensating BBb tuba that is terribley flat on A, Ab and G in the lower bass clef
staff but OK on e, Eb and D below. This instrument is almost unusable. That is the fault of the instrument tapers, not compensation. It could happen on noncompensating instruments also.

If you are so sure of your beliefs, why don't you write a paper and publish it in a referreed journal?

Follow Ups: