Re: Normal High School Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on December 29, 2001 at 07:55:08:

In Reply to: Normal High School Tuba posted by Matthew on December 28, 2001 at 23:42:48:

The King 2341 has been a staple in the high school market for years because they are relatively low priced, built like tanks, and play well. The new King just makes them better, although I think that a detachable bell is actually better for the school market because it makes them easier to repair when (not if) some student mangles the bell. Current discounted price is about $3500, although schools may be able to do better.

The Weril mentioned is a better version of the Yamaha YBB-321, for less money, but I find them uncomfortable to play. The VMI 2103 mentioned is another good choice. I prefer piston valves for high school though. In the same price range is the Jupiter 582 and Cerveny 681. Both of these are a little elss sturdy than the other horns mentioned, but are decent choices. For a little more money the Meinl-Weston 25 and Miraphone S186 are also options worth considering. Overall I still believe that the King provides the best combination of price, playability, and quality for a school horn.

Follow Ups: