Interesting Recordings

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Big Horn on December 29, 2001 at 16:38:06:

On my journeys through the Thrift stores and Used CD shops of my fair burg, I have come across some recordings you may find interesting.

1) "Brass Menagerie,Big Band Brass of the 60's" This recording is comprised of the Bands of Jerry Fielding, Mel Davis, Jim Tyler, and Hugo Montenegro. All use tuba to a great extent, particulary Fielding's group. A great arrangement of the Prolugue from West Side Story has two tubas pounding out the bass line of the first fast section. Nicely done, too. Hugo Montenegro's Hall of the Mountain King opens with a great tuba solo. Can anyone tell me anything about the tuba players? I assume that most of these bands recorded in the LA area. The original recordings were put out by Time-Life. The Cd I have is Bainbridge BCD-1032. This is great.

2) An album by the Doowackadoodlers entitled " More Wacky Doodlers". This is a great album of trad tunes made in NYC in 1964. Nels Laasko plays Trumpet, Al Philburn plays trombone, with Lois Winter vocals and Don Virgil. This a great, uncredited, tuba player on this album, I assume it's Don Butterfield or Harvey Phillips, can any help help? This is weird trad ala Sautter/Finegan. RCA Victor LPM-2861.

3) Remember a really wack brass group from the '80's called "The Brass Band"? I lost a live album recorded in Australia years ago. I have found a strange live album entitled "Live and in Debt" recorded at the Westwood Playhouse, LA in 1987. It is really strange, alot of comedy and perhaps the loudest, crassest tuba playing this side of a bad marching band. It is funnier than hell though. Audiophile AR8705

If anyone can share any info about the above bands, please do. Thanks in advance.

Follow Ups: