Re: F Tuba Mouthpiece on a CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on December 29, 2001 at 19:10:57:

In Reply to: F Tuba Mouthpiece on a CC posted by Big Steve on December 29, 2001 at 18:35:19:

Years ago when I played a Cerveny piggy, I used several different mouthpieces to get different effects: Mirafone Orchestra for big stuff, Mirafone Solo for brighter upper register work, Mirafone F/Eb for Bydlo and Petrouchka....Then I got older and just used the Mirafone Orchestra for everything.

That's not the question you asked, however. Currently I play a Meinl Weston 2000 and use a Monette 94 for solo and small ensemble work and a Monette 94F on my F tuba. The range I get on the Monette 94 is actually larger than when I had the smaller Mirafone mouthpieces to use.

The choice of only 1 mouthpiece has to depend on what type sound you want. In my case, the Monette 94 works on both but is not the best choice to use all the time on both of them. By using the 94F, I achieve similar results as on the CC but the 94F brings out the best of the F in terms of tone quality, pitch, and range.

I would suggest trying as many mouthpieces as possible, not thinking about an F tuba mouthpiece or a CC mouthpiece, but rather a mouthpiece that achieves what you want it to. If you get a mouthpiece that will work on both instruments, you can save a bit of money. (I find the argument of trying to save a few bucks on getting only 1 mouthpiece to use on 2 instruments a not very compelling one. My reason? Think how much money you have spent on an instrument, gig bag, case (or not), music and then you will realize that a few more dollars to find the right mouthpiece is money well spent.)

Good luck with the mouthpiece search. It's a fun one if you look at it that way.

Follow Ups: