Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Any thoughts on the Nirchsl 6/4

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by LV on January 02, 2002 at 07:07:57:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Any thoughts on the Nirchsl 6/4 posted by callmeapple on December 31, 2001 at 01:02:27:

On the Besson 983, I just have them on the first slide, but on the horn with the Nirschl valves (a Rudy Meinl RMCCC piston CC) I use them on the first slide AND on the bottom caps. I do this because when the valves are pressed all the way down, you'd get a little "crunch" from the springs compressing to the point that they were collapsing on themselves. I checked to make sure the springs were in correctly positioned (axially centered) and found they just needed slightly more verticle space. So...I went to the old hardware store for spacer ideas and ended up buying several different sizes and thicknesses of "O" rings. This gave me just enough verticle space and so...no more crunch. I also tried several different styles and strengths of springs and ended up liking the tapered Hirsbrunner springs, best feel and least "crunch" (BTW, the springs that came with the horn were the worst!). These, as I said, "crunched" the very least, but still did it ever so slightly, so I used the thinest rings that were still sturdy and gave me just enough extra room so that the "crunch" was completely eliminated.

FWIW,

LV

Follow Ups: