Re: Re: Re: Re: mirafone pitch

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 04, 2002 at 16:16:13:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: mirafone pitch posted by Chuck(G) on December 04, 2002 at 15:59:13:

I've listened to many live performances on period instruments, but it seems to me that the gut strings and wooden string anchors had a more mellowing effect than the pitch center.

One comparing the harp and pin block on my Hazelton to that of a modern grand piano would not worry about its strength, as long as the pitch is brought up gradually. The strings were only two years old at that time, and the pins had been replaced when the strings were. The piano had been carefully maintained (except for the finish) throughout its life. It took three tunings to raise the pitch. The real reason for the tuner's reluctance, which came out after some discussion, was that the tuning was part of the purchase deal (including raising the pitch), and the tuner was not party to that deal. Three tunings was three times the work he thought he'd have to do. Once that problem was addressed with a call to the dealer, he agreed that the frame on the piano was plenty beefy to support concert pitch.

Rick "who wouldn't do it to an unmaintained Upright Boom piano" Denney

Follow Ups: