Re: Re: Warning: Heresy!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaRay on December 05, 2002 at 15:38:45:

In Reply to: Re: Warning: Heresy! posted by Dan Schultz on December 05, 2002 at 14:38:10:

I agree with Dan'ts post. Obviously, a very large tuba-euph ensemble is a bit too cumbersome to sound very good. Have you ever listened to a massed band(2000+)? They aren't much to listen to, either. It is always annoying to be part of a performance where some of the members either don't know or don't care about being musical. Given the general image problem we have as tuba and euphonium players, I think we are especially sensitive to things which do not portray our instrument in a good light. However, the idea of us older guys being good role models is an important one.

On the subject of not so massive TubaChristmas concerts: Each year, in San Antonio, we have an unofficially sanctioned event we call "A TubaMeister Christmas," which is sponsored by The TubaMeisters. Over the past few years we have had groups of 60-90 people who perform in the massed ensemble. Usually, we have Lee Hipp(principal tuba, San Antonio Symphony) conduct the group. He has done a wonderful job in rehearsing and controlling the group. Additionally, we have been very fortunate to have a great group of folks show up and play. These people, truly multi-generational, have a great time and display a very fine attitude to the whole event. Usually The TubaMeisters will perform some more challenging and catchy music and we all go home happy.

If anyone is interested in joining us, this year's event will be on Monday, December 23rd. The performance will be at the Arneson River Theater, right on the San Antonio Riverwalk. If anyone is interested in the details, please feel free to email me.

Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
TubaRay(AT)satx.rr.com

Follow Ups: