Re: Why is the Yamaha YBB-621 So Expensive?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on December 06, 2002 at 02:21:40:

In Reply to: Why is the Yamaha YBB-621 So Expensive? posted by Sam H. on December 05, 2002 at 10:48:39:

I think the YBB-621 is a niche instrument. If the player is in the niche, it's the perfect instrument, and worth every penny.

hen I came back after a 25 year intermission, I did a lot of research on what to buy. In very little time, I decided that the YBB-621 was just what I needed - but it seemed a tad pricey. Some very helpful people eventually convinced me that if that was what I wanted, then it was worth it. And, they were right.

It was the perfect tuba for me, and remains a very good one. Tonight, I played with a relatively new and slightly struggling community band. It was a very small group, and the YBB-621 was perfect. My other regular group is much larger - but I'm also usually 1 of a section of 3. The YBB-621 has been adequate there - but is starting to feel "too small", esp. when I'm the only one who shows up. But I've noticed a strange thing...every time I start to feel that the YBB-621 is "too small", it seems to get bigger. After 6 years (starting from page 1 in Arban) I'm sure there is still considerable room for my sound to get bigger. But, something bigger would *also* be useful.

So, I'm currently in the market for a King 2341 (as soon as one of the usual sources finds one that meets my perculiar taste, I'll write the check). But, I won't be getting rid of the YBB-621S. Essentially, it's worth more to me than what I think I can get for it on the open market.

And that's the point - it costs what it does because there is a market; there are enough players who think it's worth the price. For those players, the less expensive alternatives also seem "cheaper". And, the other tubas available for the same price simply don't do the same job.

What's the niche? BBb players who want a physically small instrument that still provides a high quality sound (sound quality and intonation) - and who have no need to single-handedly carry a 50-piece ensemble.

Think about it - if that description fit your situation, what horns would be viable alternatives to the YBB-621S? When I was looking, I couldn't find a better choice, no matter what the price...and price wasn't really that much of a deciding factor for me.

The Weril wasn't available when I bought my YBB-621S, but I've played a few since then. It's similar, and fits roughly the same niche - but there *are* differences. For me, the differences justify the difference in price.

Your milage may vary.

Follow Ups: