Aahh, that's better!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on December 07, 2002 at 14:19:57:

Well, the Harriman, TN TubaChristmas was SO much better than the Dallas or Ft. Worth TCs. The 41 players who performed seemed to have a great time, and they made some very nice music. Tuning wasn't world-class, and there were a few clams along the way, but it was SO much better than the blastfests. They even played Carol of the Bells UP TO TEMPO (you guys who've been to the mass TCs know what usually happens. I'm not sure there's any way to do that song 'A Tempo' with 150+ players).

To the folks who run the shows in DFW (and other mass events, based upon response I've gotten from people in other parts of the country), I've been thinking about how you might keep a few bad actors from taking away from everyone else's enjoyment of the day. Maybe you guys could have section leaders, with the authority to enforce a proper level of respect for fellow players and for the audience. I hope no one thinks I'm trying to 'tell them how to run their own show', I'm just offering up an idea. Take it or leave it.

For those who wrote to agree with my misgivings about the mass TCs, let me suggest that you find one of these smaller gatherings. I didn't get to play in this one, because my instruments are 800+ miles away, but you can bet I'll be there next year!

Joe Baker, who still may try to get a smaller group of 8-12 players to do some nursing homes or malls next year.

Follow Ups: