Re: Re: Re: TubaChristmas "elitists"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on December 08, 2002 at 14:07:23:

In Reply to: Re: Re: TubaChristmas "elitists" posted by Dean on December 08, 2002 at 13:44:52:

Well, there were posts below that advocated banning certain instruments from the event
I dunno, I really kind of thought that was a joke. If it was serious, I disagree with them, but not with their right to speak their minds.

As far as the blatters out there, I assume that would be at the director's discretion--did he/she ever say anything to these players? Did they respond? I dont know what could be done, short of kicking them out, which isnt really feasable.
This is the real dilemma, isn't it? I don't want to see anyone kicked out; but I'm almost to the point where I think that may have to happen to salvage these events. In the ones I've been to, the directors have made subtle comments, but never looked the back row in the eye and said "knock it off". Well, the people that play this way are not going to respond to subtlety, so it's not likely to change. So if I were still living in DFW, I would have to weigh the question of whether or not I should participate in the event: I have to take a precious day of vacation from work, go to downtown Dallas or Ft. Worth and spend money on parking, registration, TC book, etc., only to be aggravated the ENTIRE time by some yahoo blaring the tuba equivalent of 'screw you' at me? I say "no", and I think unless someone takes some measure to control these guys a lot more will begin to say no. So if that means someone has to go the individuals involved, and just say "shape it up or hit the bricks", they may be the only people left in a few years.

The situation is avoidable. If you cant stand the big ones, dont go--find a smaller, more managable one.
Which is exactly what I'm doing. Who knows who else was going to just chuck it this year, who will now, instead, look for a smaller or more enjoyable venue. And maybe - just maybe - some of the responsible sousa players will start policing the irresponsible ones, or the events themselves will appoint section leaders with the authority to do something about the problem.

Joe Baker, who hopes Dean has a great time at both TCs.

Follow Ups: