Re: HELP!!NEED INFO ON WISDOM TEETH

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on December 10, 2002 at 09:27:21:

In Reply to: HELP!!NEED INFO ON WISDOM TEETH posted by Bill Pritchard on December 09, 2002 at 12:09:04:

Bill,
The important thing here is to correctly determine if the work needs to be done or not. I had only been in the Army for about two and a half months when I went for routine dental care while at the Armed Forces School of Music in Norfolk, and the young Navy dentist said, "You still have all your wisdom teeth - we need to yank them out." Since I had been having no trouble with them, I called "Time-out", and asked for a 2nd opinion. In just a few minutes, an older Marine Corps dentist came in, examined my mouth and asked, "You been having any problems with your wisdom teeth, son?" I told him that I had not. The Marine officer then basically told the young dentist that he saw no reason to fix what wasn't broken. I still have the wisdom teeth. They are hell to floss, but haven't caused any trouble.
You are entitled to get a 2nd opinion. Then, if the teeth are indeed impacted and will cause you future grief if not removed, don't hesitate to get it done. Keep your Commander and Sergeant Major informed of the situation, and I think they'll do everything possible to ensure that you get the best care possible. After all, we can't afford to lose one of the better 02F's (tuba players) in the US Army!

Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: