Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Finale or Sibelius?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on December 11, 2002 at 16:08:15:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Finale or Sibelius? posted by Elastic on December 11, 2002 at 15:15:33:

The strength of Finale, and to some the strongest argument against Finale, is not, that one can do everything, that a good manual engraver can do. At least not in an obvious standard way, when it comes to the special situations, which very often has something with lack of space to do. But there are lots of hidden powers in all of Finales tools, so that work-arounds almost always are possible.

And over the years such workarounds tend to end up as standard features in never versions. Finale is a small product in a niche, so it is made by a rather small team. Which however strengthens itself by letting the highest end pro users take part in the development.

As for the WYLIWYK factor. I think you are right. But then my own approach to Finale has changed radically over 11+ years. At first I did almost all editing by means of the mouse. Now the numerical approach is much more prominent in my way of working.

And then the strongest argument for Finale is: take a look on music made with all of the other applications available and you will run for Finale.

I will not tell you names, but those of you who 3 years ago followed the discussions on a now almost obsolete low brass list, might remember, that a small publisher/engraver ridiculed Finale users. Sibelius was just so much better in his opinion. Especially by the looks of its output (which objectively is the weakest point of that application).

So I found it very funny just this week to find that person posting on one of the Finale lists. In a tone, that revealed a very humble convert.

Klaus,

who of course finds that one should adapt ones choice of engraving application to ones ambitions and purse. It is very important, that a lot of musicians work with writing all sorts of music. It can only raise the general level of musicianship.

Should I give a recommendation for entry level engravers, then this one:

Get the free for the download Finale NotePad for the link given below here.

It can open all Finale files, and it allows you to do some very rudimentary engraving.

You soon will find NotePad limiting you, but then Coda offers two intermediary upgrade step before you go for the full Finale: PrintMusic and Allegro.

Even for the full Finale version most of the young people active on this board will be eligible for heavy "academic" discounting. However I am not the one to ask about how to get Finale in the US.

Follow Ups: