Re: Re: tuabs (AT) cost

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on December 12, 2002 at 08:25:56:

In Reply to: Re: tuabs (AT) cost posted by Mark F. on December 11, 2002 at 18:36:56:

Mark,
I think the owner was simply confused when he first posted that it was a 1949-vintage instrument. When the instrument was in my shop several months ago, I checked the serial number (which I have in the log book and can re-check if necessary) against the serial number lists in the Allied catalog, which indicated it was made in 1958. Conn did a lot of experimentation, and this may not be a regular production model. I thought it looked more like Harvey Phillips' old Conn CC than any of the Harvey Phillips model tubas. The style of the top- and bottom caps and finger buttons looks more like that of an older Conn to me, not like a 1970's or early 1980's model. Although the engraving is very simple, like that on a Conn 3J prototype from the '60's I've worked on, I believe it does have Elkhart, Ind. engraved on the bell, which would definitely mean it is not a Mexi-Conn.

When this instrument left my shop, it was a virtually dent-free instrument, polished silver, chem-cleaned, and everything worked well on the instrument.

Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: