Re: vintage 4v comp B&H euphoniums

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on December 14, 2002 at 12:12:03:

In Reply to: vintage 4v comp B&H euphoniums posted by js on December 13, 2002 at 10:38:09:

Joe,
I agree with you completely. I'd just like to add, for the benefit of the readership here, that if you go bargain hunting on auction sites, if you buy any horn built before 1960, count on it needing a valve job. Regardlesss of what is said, do not expect any early-1900's vintage horn to have tight valves. I have a customer's 1907 York Eb and early 'teen's Conn BBb for restoration right now. Both are great-looking horns, but they play like noseblow. When the customer asked what differences he would notice with a valve job, I had him play-test an almost identical Union-label Conn monster Eb with rebuilt valves. He was astounded by the clarity, accuracy of pitch, etc. I told him that that was what he could get for his investment in the valves on his horns.

I would caution all of you out there to not bid old, junky horns up past what they are worth, unless you like expensive wall-hangers, or you feel that paying 2 to 10 times what you paid for the instrument in repairs is worth it to have it play right.

Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: