Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 1st slide grind

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on December 14, 2002 at 12:55:20:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 1st slide grind posted by OK to Mix? on December 13, 2002 at 11:15:34:

The aforementioned Hetman synthetic lubricants were specifically designed to be user-friendly, ie., they are compatible with traditional valve oils. This way, if you run out and use something else in a pinch, your horn doesn't muck-up and stop functioning.

Joe Hetman, an engineer and trumpet player, offers 20 different viscosities of lubricants for musical instruments. They are unique in that they contain corrosion inhibitors, and actually help your instrument stay cleaner and last longer. I also like the fact that they are non-toxic, so you breathe no carcinogenic fumes. The synthetic lubricants are stable, and don't dry out, like the bad experiences I've had with lanolin.
I had a freshly-overhauled, perfectly clean tuba in my shop one time that I let sit for several months with anhydrous lanolin on the slides. When I went to remove them, there was no corrosion, but I might as well have contact cemented them in - it took two hours to remove them without destroying the horn.
Hetman not only makes different viscosity valve oils, but several different viscosities of slide lubricants, both for stationary slides and for slides that are moved in performance. His products are modestly priced.
As Dan Schultz mentioned, LocTite makes Superlube bearing grease, which is available through Grainger Industrial Supply outlets in a 1lb. tub for about $10.00. It is a non-toxic synthetic w/ PTFE Teflon, looks and feels much like vaseline, but lasts indefinitely and eliminates stuck slides. If you don't need a 10-year supply on hand, the Hetman grease is great, and a container with about a 2-year supply is small enough to conveniently fit in your case or gig bag and costs under $7.50.

Lee "Udder Cream is for cattle" Stofer

Follow Ups: