Re: Re: Re: Re: MP sizes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 16, 2002 at 18:51:37:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: MP sizes posted by SHS Tubamaster on December 16, 2002 at 18:17:24:

The Miraphone 186's have always had a fairly strong tone to them even with a funnel-shaped mouthpiece. I have a PT-48 for mine that is more funnel than bowl, but not by much, and it can peel paint when I'm not careful. Therefore, for my own playing I'd steer clear of the strongly bowl-shaped mouthpieces on a 186.

I've always found that the funnel mouthpiece work a bit better on the 186, considering my skills, face, and objectives. I know pros who use Conn Hellebergs, and I for many years used a similar Miraphone Rose Orchestra on my 186. It's a vanilla instrument, and seems to tolerate a vanilla mouthpiece pretty well.

To me, the PT-88 is just a big version of a Bach with a more open backbore and a better rim, though "better" is entirely a personal opinion. If you want to try a different concept, consider a funnel-shaped mouthpiece like a PT-50 (if you want a big one), a Helleberg, or a Miraphone Rose Orchestra.

It seems to me the PT-88 works better and adds color on the darker sounding German-style tubas. But it might do fine on a 186 depending on how you play and what you want.

On Doug Elliott's mouthpiece comparison chart (which I pointed you to in my other post in this thread), the Bach 7 is shown as having the same rim diameter as the PT-88, but with a slightly shallower cup. The rims don't compare well, though, because they have a different shape.

Rick "who likes the PT-48 more for its comfort than anything" Denney

Follow Ups: