Re: TC Greensboro

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Micah Everett on December 16, 2002 at 22:55:50:

In Reply to: TC Greensboro posted by AG on December 14, 2002 at 22:00:19:

First of all, sorry I missed it. Had two paying gigs Saturday, too poor to turn them down. I haven't been to TC since coming to Greensboro, unfortunately. They sure are fun!

Anyway, it is important to remember that Sousaphones may be the ONLY instruments that some people have access to. Would you deny those people the opportunity to play and have a good time simply because they don't have a nice upright tuba? Besides, as someone said, obnoxious jerks seem to find a way to offend people no matter what instrument is being played.

That being said, I played at a TC once where a few kids brought MARCHING TROMBONES to play at the concert. The instrument I'm referring to is a VERY small bore, three valved instrument designed to emulate a trombone sound on the field without the cumbersome slide. It is shaped like a marching baritone/euphonium, but is much smaller and brighter. Basically, there were these four of five guys playing these instruments that sounded like bad trombones, and the sound was so bright and hideous that it covered up the other 60 or 70 people that were there (and I, unfortunately, had to sit next to one of them). They weren't trying to be obnoxious, they were just playing an instrument that is physically incapable of producing a pleasant sound. But, I guess it would be wrong to deny them the opportunity to play because of the quality of their instruments, since I don't want to be a hypocrite. Still, those things are terrible!

Anyway, it could be worse. At least Sousaphones have the capacity to produce a fairly good sound. Those kids with the marching trombones never had a chance.

Follow Ups: