Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tubas to Play at Midwest

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 17, 2002 at 12:54:31:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tubas to Play at Midwest posted by Mike on December 16, 2002 at 21:11:32:

Sixty bucks is cheap. My own professional societies get between $400 and $1000 for their conventions, and that's from organization members who pay hundreds each year in dues.

When I lived in San Antonio, I always went to the TMEA conference. TMEA had no public registration at any price. To get into the exhibits, you had to be a bona fide music educator or student. One year, I got in because a group I was in performed on the program, but most years I had to borrow a name tag.

It was humorous, really. The vendors in question knew me. I'd spent no shortage of time at Orpheus (who was active in the tuba world at the time), and knew the owners of several of the local music stores who had booths. I got used to comments like, "Hi, Ri...Barbara" and "My goodness, Ray, you grew a nice full beard just since I saw you yesterday."

But they didn't complain. I always spent money--sometimes big money--at those conferences.

Rick "who thanks the Army Band for letting him show up as Rick" Denney

Follow Ups: