Re: Formula for full concert halls

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by MP on December 17, 2002 at 14:00:26:

In Reply to: Formula for full concert halls posted by Volker on December 17, 2002 at 04:17:56:

I agree that these performances do get the 'crowds' (lit.) in and that, of course, brings in money; a good thing. Concerts such as these are commonplace in the UK and tend to sell-out.

Educated music fans wishing to listen to fine Ensembles playing fine music are mostly disappointed however. Whilst the Ensembles and Soloists are (more often than not) first-rate, they tend to be amplified to (unsuccessfully) drown the noise of the 'crowd' who are busily discussing TV gossip whilst consuming masses of sweets in paper wrapping.

A program of famous-bits, lollipops and sing-alongs doesn't capture my attention but it seems to appeal to a lot of people. I see both sides; good that more people are accessing fine, live, music but also a sad reflection of the dumbing-down we see everyday. People at these concerts don't realise (nor care) that Beethoven's 9th lasts longer than 7 minutes, but would happily tell friends they're avid music-buffs etc, etc. Does that matter?? Who can say.

They're not to my taste, therefore I don't attend; others do. That's the point I suppose.

Regards,
MP

Follow Ups: