Re: finding a quintet

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ike H. on December 20, 2002 at 13:22:51:

In Reply to: finding a quintet posted by Mary Ann on December 19, 2002 at 11:04:18:

Hi Mary Ann-

I guess I'm in an enviable position to live in a busy music center(Nashville) where players come out of the woodwork when there's good stuff to be played. I play in a church brass group on Wed. night where there are some pretty decent players, followed by a amateur/semi-pro quintet rehearsal for couple of hours. Then there's another pro quintet I play with that gigs (without rehearsals) around town.

Even in this town, those connections didn't happen overnight. It took a few years of being persistent in talking to friends about doing this kind of work and being in the right place at the right time.

I would start out by just doing some networking, as you would looking for a job, and think about the people that you would like to get into this type of thing with, people that are already your friends or those that you feel you would get along well with and musically on the same level. Chances are you'll find some kindred spirits out there that want to do the same thing and are willing to put some(regular) time in to having fun and to have a good ensemble.

Follow Ups: