Re: Re: Re: Re: Tuba Returnee seeks Eb advice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 22, 2002 at 19:20:57:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Tuba Returnee seeks Eb advice posted by Kevin Miller on December 22, 2002 at 17:41:02:

Boosey and Hawkes calls their compensating Eb tubas EEb, and I think it's a marketing ploy to associate them with contrabass tubas in Bb or c. But it doesn't reall matter--All Eb tubas, whether called Eb or EEb, are bass tubas with the same basic pitch.

The only reason, it seems to me, to consider a three-valve Eb tuba is if you can get a good Monster Eb Bass. These were made by American manufacturers before WWII. They have very wide tapers and large bells, and play false tones well. But they are not known to have perfect intonation.

If I was considering a Besson or other British-style Eb tuba, I'd get either a four-valve instrument or a three-valve instrument with compensating valves. Neither in good condition would be as inexpensive as a Monster Eb Bass.

I would avoid the top-action narrow-bore Eb tubas, usually made by French and other continental makers, that have three valves and a narrow-bore tuning slide in the leadpipe. These are the cheapest Eb tubas available, but there is a reason for that. The Conn, York, King, Martin, or other American-made Monster bass will only be a bit more and will much more fun to play. If the bell is 12 inches, it's the one to avoid. If it's 18 or 20 inches, it's a Monster.

Modern Eb tubas with four valves or with compensating valves are not cheap, and don't seem to fit with the price range suggested by Don.

Rick "not an Eb player, but a student of the market" Denney

Follow Ups: