Re: Re: Ho Ho Holton II (or III?)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony E on December 23, 2002 at 15:37:46:

In Reply to: Re: Ho Ho Holton II (or III?) posted by dp on December 23, 2002 at 12:41:53:

Dale,

Great post.

A few things. First, just to clarify so we have a good record in the archives, I paid $5500 for my horn, including delivery and a case. I don't know the retail value of the work Dan has done on the horn to date, but his "good friend" price was substantially less than $3500...about half that. However, I've probably got another $3,000 to go when I have it completely re-built and silver plated, which means I'll be in at about 10,000.

The economics of BBb tubas are always unfavorable once a player decides to invest more than $6000 or so in a BBb tuba. A CC player can purchase a HB-50 for $15,000 plus and still realistically expect to recover his investment (I think you were wise not to sell your Holton for $12,500). So, BBb players have to make tougher choices about how much a horn is worth to them, and how much the aesthetics matter.

I agree that we can't use an auction on e-bay as an inicator of whether guys really think Holton's are worth more money, because experienced BBb guys know it's a very risky proposition to take one without play testing, and no return. And, of those that might consider it, how many have available cash just during the auction period? So, the fact that others didn't bid it up higher doesn't tell us as much as, say, Rick's purchase or mine.

I do agree that the larger, more encompassing presence doesn't go away at low volumes, and can tend to lure other players into playing louder. "Wash of Support"...good description. This becomes a conductor's issue, and so far, my Holton has been well recieved by both conductors and fellow players in small ensembles.

I don't think it's just the BBb crowd that admires the best of the big Holtons, and I think in a lot of ways the 345 defines what people like about BBb tubas. Just because they're not ready to buy one off e-bay this week doesn't change that. But, your caution is on track...no one should assume that they can buy any old 345, send it in for a rebuild, and automatically have this killer horn that works for them.

I hope this horn turns out well for Dietmer.

Happy Holidays,

Tony E

Follow Ups: