Re: Re: Re: Re: Did anyone play a new or tuba they liked

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Winton on December 23, 2002 at 18:55:01:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Did anyone play a new or tuba they liked posted by :) on December 23, 2002 at 11:05:28:

I was able to play the Rudy 4345 rotary finally at this Japanese and America navy band collaboration Christmas concert a few days a ago. The Japanese navy (sort of navy) was the one that owned this tuba and the guy there was nice enough to let me try it, him wanting to leave right away, and booooooooooooooooooooy it was the most amazing this I've played as far as CC tubas go. It's a good-sized 4/4 but it just had this sound that I can't describe. Projected like crazy. The rotary valves were so smooth, I can't even describe that either...........like butta? Ya. I want it so bad.

And the Gronitz F I tried at UCLA and it had a nice sound. I prefer rotary because of the sound it produces due to resistance but this horn had a nice resistance that it felt rotary-ish. A compact sound which I would say work up to quintet playing. Great for solo. It had a big sound for its size. It's a two-step or three-step for the fifth valve, so if you're a one-step 5th valve player, then it wouldn't work for you. unless you wanna learn another one, or can. I would definitely get it as a good small tuba F tuba, since the MW182 or YFB-621 is too small for my preference.

But the Rudy 4345......ohhhhhh mama.

-W

Follow Ups: