Re: Conn 2XJ playing characteristics

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank on December 24, 2002 at 09:04:03:

In Reply to: Conn 2XJ playing characteristics posted by Scott Norberg on December 24, 2002 at 01:18:47:

I have never played the 24/25J. But I have spent quite a bit of time with the 20/21J (3 valve models) and one thing (IMHO) they are NOT, is stuffy. They are usually very free blowing. You might try another example of the horn to see if it is just this individual horn. And maybe even try a 20/21J for comparison.

It is possible that the horn might have something in the interior or some other mechanical problem that needs looking into. Normally the Conn does not have a really dark tone because of all the harmonics. They usually "sing" really well, noticable when playing with a band much more than when practicing alone. And the volume levels that you can produce are sufficient to balance a large group.

Hopefully more of the 2Xj owners out there can give you their input. Certainly Lee Stofer and Rick Denney know these horns well and may be able to help.

In any case, I would suggest that you try more examples of the horn to get a better idea.

Follow Ups: