Re: Yamaha Tuba's

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on December 24, 2002 at 20:32:29:

In Reply to: Yamaha Tuba's posted by Josh on December 24, 2002 at 18:30:35:

I have seen the negative comments about Yamaha's on this board and thought I would speak up. I own a stock 641, bought it off the showroom floor. It is, hands down, the best tuba I, and I emphasize the I, have ever played, and those of you who know me know I have owned alot of horns. I have used it for symphonic playing and recording. The sound is astounding as is the pitch. It has a low Ab to die for and I the only notes I have to pull anything for are the pedal Eb's and C's and the g last space in the staff. The horn is 5 years old. The only modification I have made is to add monsterweights on the valve caps. They made a superb horn better. And, GASP, I use a Faxx 24AW on all my horns. A very non-standard set up. Before you accept any blanket statements, try EVERY horn out there and be your own judge, don't let anyone, least of all those with little experience on horns past their collective bandrooms, tell you what is good or not. I have never really played a tuba that I couldn't get some good notes out of. My nomination for the best horn I have played past my 641 is an older 3 valve compensating Besson BBb(upright bell). It had a great sound and great pitch. Great tuba!!! Wish i owned it. Happy Holidays.

Chuck

Follow Ups: