Re: Re: Re: A Christmas wish for Holton . . .

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 26, 2002 at 14:19:15:

In Reply to: Re: Re: A Christmas wish for Holton . . . posted by Alex C on December 25, 2002 at 23:38:14:

Well, I'm about as far from being a top-notch player in top shape as it gets and still be able to produce a recognizable tune, but my Holton makes me sound my best and then some. I once played a 2165 that I could hardly make notes on, but which was wonderful in capable hands (Lee Hipp auditioned the same instrument in the San Antonio Symphony). To me, the difference between them is the magic I refer to. If a weak player can do his best work on it, then perhaps a fine player can do his best work on it also. That is, to me, the essence of efficiency, and I've had more than one top pro say it to me in so many words. That a fine player can make a tuba I can't manage work well is a testament to the player's ability to overcome the barriers that I cannot surmount, not to the tuba. In the approximate words of one top pro, some of the big tubas suck the air out of you, and some take the air you do have and make it work.

When I bought the York Master, I could do things on it that I could not do on the Miraphone, as you can see in the article on my web page published at the time. The Holton goes in the same direction, but beyond the York Master. I've never played a BBb tuba that went so far. Even the King, the best of which I think are great tubas, particularly for players like me, doesn't make me wish I had one instead of the YM, especially when I play low notes. The Conn 20J made the big, warm sound that BAT's are known for, but without any of the refinement and control of the York Master. The Holton has the refinement and control--in fact it has better control--in addition to the big, warm sound. There is no doubt that a fine player could get much more out of the Holton than I can, but it certainly allows me to play at my best. This is contrary to some advice I'd gotten in past years when discussing this subject; advice that suggested such instruments require, as you say, top-notch playing to make it work.

I look for that efficiency. If an instrument too obviously exposes my many faults, then I don't really need that instrument, heh, heh. My self image as a tuba player is fragile enough as it is!

Rick "thinking the elusive magic is usable not just by top artists" Denney

Follow Ups: