Re: Re: Re: Re: So, everyone likes VMI? No complaints?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by dp on December 26, 2002 at 16:38:06:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: So, everyone likes VMI? No complaints? posted by js on December 25, 2002 at 11:40:32:

Joe's right on this one, I was just trying to avoid stating my belief, and informed opinion, that the outlets which aggressively force competition based solely upon price are NOT what I consider reputable dealers.
A reputable dealer will always return a horn to his supplier/manufacturer if it is a clam, before even putting it out on the floor, even if it costs him for shipping. Low-cost outlets take whatever they get, and truthfully are likely not even interested (or able) to identify a clam horn when they get them.
While Mirafones are a-typically consistent from horn-to-horn, I seriously doubt that they simply throw away the occasional bowser that's made. Someone winds up with them. A discriminating, reputable dealer is far less likely to take them, let alone risk their reputations dumping one. Whether the risk is real or perceived, reputable dealers have a balanced sense of pride and fairness that are uncommonly different character qualities from the stereotypically "successful" pro salesman. Outlets which aggressively claim to "beat all others" on price, and suggest play testing in local markets before "buying from us" really demonstrate a different attitude about these qualities of pride and fairness as I have described them. Most really couldn't care less what you think once they've closed a sale, as long as they get their buck from the sale.
In a sense it is a good thing that our market for new horns has slowed, IF the fast-buck dealers chicken out and go chase easy dollars some other way, and IF the good ones can survive some admittedly tough times.
This wound up being a hell of a tangent, and likely raised more questions in our original post-er's mind than provided answers. But (I am sure) dialog helps, and it certainly doesn't stop with moi

Happy Holidays

Follow Ups: