Re: Re: Miraphone 1291 "Big Babe"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on December 28, 2002 at 11:39:43:

In Reply to: Re: Miraphone 1291 "Big Babe" posted by Tito on December 28, 2002 at 11:12:43:

I've only had a few minutes with a 191. I thought it made a nice big sound when I really put the air through it, but for me it takes a lot more air than does any of the other tubas you mentioned. You could hardly find two more different tubas of the same general size than the Meinl-Weston 25 and the new King 2341. The 25 is typically German--a commanding, dark sound with projection. Whatever color you have in your sound you can get out of the 25, but you have to have it. With me, it sounds kind of woofy. The King, on the other hand, provides a colorful, warm sound with much less input. It's both easier and more fun for me. And this year's model has a critical water key where the inaugural model didn't, as my section mate discovered to his outspoken approval.

I'm not sure that it is all the bore size that accounts for the different with the 191, but it does have a huge bore and a relatively short leadpipe compared to the 186. In terms of feel, the 186 is an easy blow and the 191 is a big blow. The sound concept between the two is completely different.

The 191 seems to be favored by players of established skill and efficient air movement. Those of us who don't have the skill don't seem to be buying them, at least not that I've heard. The King has earned a broader following.

Rick "who could develop no emotional connection to the 191 he tried" Denney

Follow Ups: