Re: Hard cases

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by 1 way for air travel on December 29, 2002 at 16:12:04:

In Reply to: Hard cases posted by SHS Tubamaster on December 28, 2002 at 14:59:13:

The MTS cases for tubas are very good and I own one myself for my 191. They work well, roll easy, the wheels are stronger than on the other plastic molded tuba cases and they keep the tuba fairly tight.

If you don't have the $'s to buy a flight case but have a cheap wood or plastic case or a good wood or plastic case and you want to take it on a plane, do this.

Put a towel in the bell, place a half deflated basketball afainst the towel in the bell and then pump it up tight as you can and it acts as a shock absorber.
Then close the lid, lock it, tape it aroound in like 3 places and take it anywhere on anything, doesnt matter.

Throw a small portable bike air pump and needle in your suitcase and a roll of duct tape and you are set to bring it back as well.

I have never had any bell damage ever and this trick was told to me in 1972 by the man who sold me my first tuba. He also taught me to use lemon pledge for a lacquer polish and always put a fresh coat to protect from playing in the sun on an outside gig.

Charlie

Follow Ups: