Re: changing from BBb to a CC tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom B. on December 29, 2002 at 23:07:47:

In Reply to: changing from BBb to a CC tuba posted by lan on December 29, 2002 at 21:57:39:

Just learn different fingerings. Converting fingerings in your head from BBb to CC or through transposition is making it much more difficult than it has to be. Remember that you will retain your ability to read music and hear pitches, so you are not "really" starting over at all, simply sticking new fingerings to all of the notes you already know.

If you don't already know your scales and key signatures, switching to CC tuba will force you to learn them if you use "my" system of switching.

I like something that my professor has been doing with new CC tuba converts...he makes them play an atonal solo for their first piece on CC to force them to learn accidentals and different keys rather than just one or two keys.

The switch is not nearly as big of a deal as many make it out to be. I think it really gets blown up by all of the CC vs. BBb threads and the large number of younger players that come through the tubenet board looking for info about CC tubas and making the switch. Except for the most difficult pieces, you should be able to get CC down cold in a month with a decent amount of work. The more you play it, the easier it will become.

Good luck. Post a follow up or email me if you have questions.

Follow Ups: