Re: Re: HELP MEH!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on December 30, 2002 at 21:31:53:

In Reply to: Re: HELP MEH! posted by Rick Denney on December 30, 2002 at 20:29:46:

Thanks Rick for the kind words. I may be an anomaly here, but I actually found that the 641 worked better with a real deep MP with a soft rim. I use a Faxx 24AW on it and it really plays well for me. I am able to get a better color out of the instrument and I have a better control over all types of articulation. The only drawback is that it is hard to slur on it, but that is more me than the MP, just the fly in the ointment of my playing. I have tried every version of a 24AW(I think there must be as many as the Hellebergs)and settled on the Faxx for no other reason than it felt good and sounded the best. Oddly enough, I use a bigger, shallower MP on my F, it seems to project more. I don't know alot about equipment, I kinda just go on what produces what I want to hear. I would like to love the Helleberg style MP's, but the rims just seem too sharp for my comfort level. All this being said, I agree with the advice to go a little smaller in the rim and a little deeper in the cup. Happy New Year.

Follow Ups: