Re: Re: Re: Re: changing from BBb to a CC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on December 30, 2002 at 21:42:38:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: changing from BBb to a CC posted by Konfused in Kokomo on December 30, 2002 at 17:11:01:

OK, time to 'fess up. Since Sam did the Nutcracker on 4 different instruments, I can tell this tale. Just did one of those Camp Kirkland pre-pakaged Christmas Cantata's with a big church in town. Non-stop playing, but get this, the range was FF to A, that's right A second space. I had a bet with the bass trombone player that I could play 4 successive performances on all keyed tubas. BBb was the easiest, almost everything was in a flat key, F was the worst because I had to try to match the sound of the big instrument. CC was a no-brainer(other than I had to borrow one, a fabulous 188), and as I had NEVER played an EEb in my life other than to toot on one, I almost had a mental melt-down near the end of the show. Read everything in treble clef, added the requisite accidentals, figured out the compensating system, and didn't get to play it before the gig(it was the bass trombone players)Moral of story, it ain't the horn, it's the ideas you put into it. Thanks for letting me share that. I will NEVER do it again, but I did get a case of Sam adams for the trouble. Now I want to chuck all my horns and get a 188.

Follow Ups: